One of our favorites, Michael’s grandma Mennerick discovered this recipe in the St. Louis Post Dispatch a few years ago. Friends and family have been requesting it for parties ever since. Michael always makes them with love, although the complexity of the recipe (especially once the batter starts to warm back to room temperature and becomes unimaginably messy in one’s hands) makes it one of the most frustrating to make and always makes the kitchen very messy.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (we use Imperial or Parkay margarine)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 – 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 1 box Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Butter Recipe Golden cake mix
- Powdered sugar for dipping/rolling drops of dough
- Powdered sugar for sifting on top of cookies after you take them off of cookie sheets
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Beat softened butter, vanilla, egg, and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Mix in DRY cake mix.
- Chill for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly coat cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- Drop dough by teaspoonfuls in bowl of powdered sugar, lightly roll into balls.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until light golden brown underneath.
- Makes about 4 dozen. If you make the balls slightly smaller the batch will make about 65 cookies.
- When cool, sift p